This past week I finished drilling the holes in the slab for the cribbage board playing area. I used a handheld drill and a 1/2″ drill bit to drill the holes. For anyone that knows the game of cribbage they know that there is 121 pegging holes, the 121st hole is the winning pegging hole. The other 120 pegging holes are part of the regular playing area. There are three rows so three people can play the game, therefore I had to drill 361 holes in total, so you could say my hands are a little sore.

I learned quite a few things about myself and woodworking this past week. The first thing I learned is that my OCD is real. The second thing I learned is that I am not a professional woodworker and my project will not be perfect and I will have to live with that fact.

What does this mean?

I bought a little tool from Canadian Tire that helps drill straight holes up and down which works perfectly. The problem was with keeping the holes in a straight line on the playing area. Some of the holes I drilled were off-center from the lines I had drawn on the slab. I had also not accounted for the 1/2″ holes that would be created by the drill bit while I was measuring the spacing originally so some of the holes have chipped away some wood (photos below). These little mistakes really frustrate me, I often tend to move to quickly for my own good and miss steps and make mistakes. I keep learning these things about myself through projects, the blogging I think reaffirms these things though, by having to reflect about my learning and the process. The next step of the project will be to finish sanding the slab, stain it, and then create legs for the table. I have an idea of what I will be doing for the legs but I will keep that for another day to explain.